STRESS RELIEF FOR THE HOLIDAY SEASON: A HOLISTIC APPROACH
The holiday season is often touted as the most wonderful time of the year, but it can also be the most stressful. Between the hustle and bustle of holiday shopping, cooking, and family gatherings, it's easy to feel overwhelmed. Fortunately, there are several effective ways to manage holiday stress, and they all involve staying active. This blog explores a workout regimen, getting outside, working out with friends, and yoga as effective stress relief strategies during the holiday season.
One of the best ways to combat holiday stress is establishing and sticking to a workout regimen. Regular exercise has been shown to reduce stress hormones and trigger the release of endorphins, which are natural mood lifters. Here's how to create a workout routine that works for you:
- Set Realistic Goals: Start with achievable fitness goals for the holiday season. These goals can be as simple as taking a 30-minute walk each day or committing to three days of strength training per week.
- Create a Schedule: Plan your workouts ahead of time and incorporate them into your daily or weekly schedule. Consistency is key.
- Mix It Up: Variety keeps things interesting. Include cardiovascular exercises, strength training, and flexibility work in your routine.
Stay Accountable: Share your goals with a friend, family member or your Brickz fam who can help hold you accountable. You can even work out together (more on that later).
Spending time outdoors can be incredibly refreshing and is a great way to reduce holiday stress. Nature has a calming effect, and the fresh air can help clear your mind. Here's how to make the most of the great outdoors during the holiday season:
- Go for a Hike: Explore nearby hiking trails and immerse yourself in the beauty of nature. It's a wonderful way to disconnect from the chaos of the holiday season.
- Embrace Winter Sports: If you live in a snowy area, consider trying skiing, snowboarding, or ice skating. These sports can be both fun and physically challenging.
Relax in a Park: Sometimes, you only need a leisurely stroll in the park. Take a moment to appreciate the changing seasons and breathe fresh air.
Work Out with Friends
Exercising with friends can make your workout sessions more enjoyable and help alleviate holiday stress. Social connections are essential for mental well-being, and combining exercise with socializing is a win-win. Here's how to incorporate friends into your fitness routine:
- Join a Group Fitness Class: At Brickz we offer Group Fitness HIIT sweat sessions, semi private strength training, private training and yoga! Joining a class is a great way to make new friends while staying active.
- Buddy Workouts: Find a workout buddy who shares your fitness goals. You can motivate, hold each other accountable, and enjoy quality time together.
Family Fitness: Encourage your family members to join you in workouts. A friendly game of touch football, a family bike ride, or a group yoga session can be memorable and stress-relieving.
Yoga is a powerful practice that combines physical postures, breathing techniques, and mindfulness. It's an ideal way to alleviate holiday stress, promoting relaxation and reducing tension in the body and mind. Here's how to incorporate yoga into your holiday routine:
- Home Practice: Consider setting aside a quiet space at home for your yoga practice. Plenty of online resources and apps offer guided yoga sessions for all levels.
- Attend Yoga Classes: Many studios offer special holiday-themed yoga classes. These classes often focus on relaxation and stress reduction, making them perfect for the season.
- Breathe and Meditate: Remember the power of deep breathing and meditation. These practices can be done anywhere, anytime, and are excellent for managing stress during hectic holidays.
This holiday season, prioritize your well-being by incorporating these stress-relief strategies into your daily life. A consistent workout regimen, spending time in nature, working out with friends, and practicing yoga can all help you manage holiday stress and find balance and serenity during this festive time of year. Remember that taking care of yourself is the greatest gift you can give to yourself and your loved ones during the holidays.